Wednesday, December 01, 2004

A Single Step

I'm a tense bastard. I let myself get stressed about minor things, I spend too much time worrying about things I can't control, and I just generally freak out too much. The recent changes in my life have exacerbated these tendencies, and I've come to the realization that if I want to build a good life for myself, I'm going to have to overcome and change these obstacles I'm putting in my path. And I can't do it alone.

To this end, todat I bought and read two books from a series I swore never to touch when I was younger and stupider: Stress Management for Dummies and Meditation for Dummies. Beginning as soon as possible (I apparently have to go buy a cushion before I start meditating), I'm going to try and use the techniques in these books to set myself on that road to self-improvement. And part of that road will involve this blog.

From time to time, I'm going to use this blog as an opportunity to practice these techniques. A lot of the stress management stuff puts importance on articulating stressors and worries. That might go here. Or I might use an entry to evaluate my progress. Any particular epiphanies I reach that I feel deserve publication will find their way here as well.

This is not to say I'll be neglecting other aspects of the blog. Ther's nothing wrong with chronicling my personal journey, but I want to make this as much about you fine people as it is about me. Reviews will continue, along with random thoughts and things that come to me. Expect cool links. Talkback isn't going away any time soon. Pop culture will always be a focus. I'm just going to do this as well, from time to time.

It oughta be fun. Hope you enjoy it.

Reviews tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jane Vincent said...

just use a pillow, fancy shmancy cushions are for schmucks.