Saturday, January 01, 2005

Practice, Schmactice

So I ended up at a party in Carnegie Hall Tower last night. For those of you who don't know, that's the big-rent high-rise that's basically on top of/adjacent to Carnegie Hall, on 57th and 7th. One of my roommates has an old high school friend with an apartment there, so an invitation was extended to the roommates and a couple of other guests (including roommate K's father, who cooked us all a big pork roast dinner before the event).

We hung out there for a good hour and a half. I chatted with a few folks, and made some nice connections with the hostess and another fellow. The party ended at 10:30, as the people living there wanted to see the ball-drop in Times Square. The rest of us, unsure of what to do, ran into a coworker of ex-roommate P. and a friend of hers from Colorado, and all of us went down to this wine and fondue place on 9th Avenue. We rang in the new year there, then hung around for an hour or so before packing it in. I spent a good bit of time chatting up the co-worker, and gave her my number as we were leaving. That's something of a breakthrough.

Today was pretty low-key; I wrote some networking letters, and later on I might go blow the Borders gift card I still have in my pocket. Not too bad a start.

No comments: