Saturday, March 12, 2005

I Love To Sing-A

So I went to Jean's birthday party last night. (Jean is the girlfriend of Brian Cronin, the driving force behind Comics Should Be Good.) Took me less time to get to Chinatown than I thought, which was fortunate. After I got out at the unfamiliar Canal/Lafayette stop, I had to ask some people which was the right way to go to get to Mulberry. About five minutes later, Cronin walked up right next to me. I didn't even know he was there. I used to pull that on a friend in high school, so I guess this was cosmic payback.

Anyway, the party was fun; I didn't know many people, but everyone was friendly. Dinner was both free and delicious, and I had some good conversation with CBR's Lena, and three new people (dredging the names out of the morass... Lori, Rich, and Charles, I think). I also found out what Brian does for a living, something I wasn't too clear on, given how much time he devotes to CBR and blogging. Boy's a machine, I tell you.

Several people cut out early, but those of us who stayed behind went downstairs for karaoke at 11. 'Twas good fun; it was just us and this group of young black ladies out enjoying themselves. They weren't so good at keeping time, or even necessarily getting the lyrics right, but they had fun, and that's really what's important, so good for them. Lots of kitsch going on; I can't believe anyone ever took ABBA seriously. As for myself, I went for an odd little mix: Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence," The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There" (complete with falsetto tremolo), and Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name."

I like singing, but I realized last night that I'm not that good at it. Decent, but not enough to be professional. Still, I suppose it's something to haul out at weddings.

A most enjoyable evening. I should do stuff like this more often.

No comments: