Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Speak And Remove All Doubt

In case anyone wasn't clear on the fact that I am a gigantic nerd, here's the text of an email I just sent to Marvel regarding this week's issue of Uncanny X-Men.

Gents -

I enjoyed the story in this month's issue of Uncanny X-Men. In fact, I'm
enjoying Ed Brubaker's run on the whole, and looking forward to the big fall
crossover. But unfortunately, that's not why I'm writing this message.

I couldn't help but notice a pair of irritating grammatical errors on this issue's
recap page. First, the singular possessive "Morlock's" is used where
the plural possessive "Morlocks'" is intended. Second, "prophecy"
is thrice misspelled as "prophesy." (The latter is, of course, an actual
word, but inappropriate in this context, as it's a verb meaning "to foretell
or predict," not a noun meaning "a foretelling or prediction.")

I realize this makes me look like a massive dork, and that honest mistakes will
inevitably happen. Still, this is what I consider entry-level English, and I expect
better from professional publications. And I've got to put that English degree
to use somehow.

Other than that, great work this time around, and I look forward to the next issue.

Best,

[Redacted]


Yeah. I bet that one'll be going around the office for a while.

No comments: