Sunday, June 01, 2008

My Perry Mason Confession

Well, I just did something I never in my life thought I would do: deface a book.

For a while, I don't know how long, HarperCollins has been putting these little "PS" sections in the back of their paperbacks. It's marketing pablum, the flipside of those terrible "pre-show entertainment" monstrosities they tack onto movies now to punish the people who show up early enough to get good seats. The one for The Yiddish Policeman's Union was a retrospective I doubt Chabon's ever seen, an article ripped from the New York Times magazine, an essay he wrote in 1997 about a Yiddish phrasebook, and the ads. I didn't want it, I didn't pay for it, and it's been getting in the way of fingering that little Yiddish glossary he put in the back of the book proper, so I just took a pair of scissors and cut the offending thirty pages right out of the book. And I'd do it again.

No comments: