Friday, February 25, 2011

Book No One Cares About Released Without Ending

I swear, the things you humans come up with.

If you take in any sort of media at all, then you're probably aware that there's a Twilighted-up film version of Little Red Riding Hood coming out, starring Amanda "Why the hell am I a star again?" Seyfried, and directed by Catherine Hardwicke (perpetrator of the first Twilight film). I caught the trailer in front of Harry Potter and Half the Seventh Book, and had myself a good laugh. Aside from making a note to view highlights from the inevitable Rifftrax on Youtube once they're posted, I hadn't given it much thought since.

Then I read this on Bleeding Cool. For the link-impaired among you, the novelization of the film omits the ending, instead including a link that will go live once the film is released.

A number of jokes and observations come to mind (chief among them why the film has a novelization in the first place, since it seems tailor-made for people who couldn't handle the cerebral rigors of reading the Twilight books), but mostly I'm wondering if the thankless author (whose name doesn't appear on the cover, and I can't say as I blame her) was even given the last pages of the script to work with, or if they left her hanging too. Given how far Marvel's gone in recent times to keep their own films' details secret during the novelization process (the Iron Man 2 novelization was written entirely on-site at the Marvel offices), it wouldn't surprise me.

Which leads me to an axiom that, if it isn't in Roger Ebert's Little Movie Glossary, ought to be: The more pre-release hype there is surrounding a film's twist ending, the lamer that ending will be. (Call it Shyamalan's First Law.)

No comments: