Sunday, July 15, 2012

To My Nephew, Nearly Ten Hours Old

Hello, little one. I suspect you're rather confused right now, wondering what all of this is. It's called "the world". There's quite a lot to know about it, but don't worry, nobody expects you to learn it all at once. Your mom and dad will be there to help with a lot of the practical stuff: what to do when you're hungry or tired, where the important phone numbers are, what that big fuzzy yellow thing that lives in the house is, things like that. As for the rest, well, we're all sort of trying to figure that out ourselves. I'll be sure to let you know if I come up with any answers, though.

I'm sorry, I should have introduced myself. I'm your Uncle Mike. I live some ways away, but I'll be dropping in to visit now and then. I'll always have a book for you when I do, I can promise you that. You won't get much use out of them right away, but I hope that, when you're able, you'll enjoy them very much. I did when I was young. Still do, really.

Aside from that, I don't really have much in the way of official duties. I'll teach you some stupid jokes, give you great big hugs, and possibly pass along a little bit of wisdom. There might also be some cousins for you down the road, although I make no promises.

For now, though I'm going to crib from one of my favorite writers, Kurt Vonnegut, whose books I will give you when you are much, much older. His advice to newborns was, in part, "You've got to be kind." (Again, you'll read the full quote when you're older.) I find it's good advice, even at what I'm sure to you is the ripe old age of thirty. Keep it close to your heart, and you'll do just fine.

Hello, little one. We haven't met yet, but I love you. Welcome to the world.

No comments: