Monday, January 31, 2005

This Guy's A Fucking Genius

So I found this link (http://www.paulgraham.com/bubble.html)on Theresa Nielsen Hayden's blog about what the Internet Bubble got right. And close to halfway down, I come upon this little nugget:

"I found myself talking recently to someone from Hollywood who was planning a show about nerds. I thought it would be useful if I explained what a nerd was. What I came up with was: someone who doesn't expend any effort on marketing himself."

Well, crap, if that doesn't describe me to a bleeding T. In nine words, Paul Graham just summed up the source of the frantic love/hate relationship I've had with myself since I was old enough to realize that I was smarter than some of the people into whose care I was entrusted. (Okay, granted, this particular epiphany came at a daycare center in Oklahoma, but still, you see my point.)

"Strumming my pain with his fingers, singing my life with his words..."

No comments: