Monday, April 03, 2006

Just The FAQs: What The Hell Happened To You?

“I never apologize, Lisa. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way I am.” – Homer Simpson

Q: So what happened? I was starved for content.

A: In a word, life. I have one outside this blog…

Q: Coulda fooled me.

A: Ha-ha, fuck you. Anyway, last week it intruded. Hence, only three entries.

Q: Yeah, but why the Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday features?

A: Because Friday’s is usually the last thing I do before knocking off for the weekend, and because Wednesday’s is, historically, the hardest for me to write.

Q: Poor baby.

A: See my earlier comments re: Fuck you. Because the Wednesday entries are about professionalism, I find it incumbent upon me to be at my most professional when I write them. That translates into a good deal more scrutiny in my word choice, topic, and structure than usual. I’ve written stuff for other days that I would never let get by on a Wednesday.

Q: That aside, what happened last week?

A: I write this blog for free; stuff I get paid for got in the way. I work two jobs, one in a law office and one at a magazine (Citizen Culture Magazine, the magazine with Perspectives For Young Professionals, www.citizenculture.com, plug plug), and they both kicked my ass. At the law job, I stayed late three nights out of five, including Wednesday, which is also when I have staff meetings for the magazine. And magazine stuff took up much of my evening hours, as I wrangled things together for the next issue, a task that also spilled over into my weekend. In fact, I spent most of yesterday in my building’s basement, editing pieces while doing my laundry.

Q: And this affects the blog how?

A: Simply put, at the end of the day, I was too pooped to write. Or at least to write well, and I’d rather put it off a day that write a substandard entry.

Q: Coulda fooled…

A: Fuck You Episode III: Revenge of the Fuck You.

Q: So what are you doing to fix this?

A: Well, I’m going to start getting these entries done in the morning, so when I get home, all I have to do is call them up, read them over, make changes, and post them. Or, if I’m on the go, I can do the same via wireless.

Q: That sounds like a good plan.

A: Indeed. I’m also thinking of preplanning weeks each Sunday; I’ve noticed the entries seem to go better when I don’t think of a topic as I sit down to write it.

Q: Like this one.

A: Fuck You IV: The Voyage Home.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Good job, funny boy!