Sunday, March 21, 2010

March Madness

For bonus fun, imagine that title being spoken in the John K. Ren voice, with reverb.

Anyway, it's as appropriate a title as any for how the novel has gone this month.

Based on some advice I found while googling stuff about manuscript formatting, I switched from a daily time goal to a daily word goal. My trusty, self-defeating brain was using the taking of such a chunk of time out of my day to formulate excuses not to write. Of course, once I switched to the word goal, same brain started calculating the time it would take to do X amount of words, but that's life with OCD.

Even with all that, I've lost about a week's worth of writing, all-told. To add to the fun, it may turn out that this book will be longer than I anticipated by 10,000-15,000 words. So I'm holding as close as I can to my goal of completion in March, while facing the possibility that it won't, or can't, happen.

Still, there's a feeling I get when I write, and it's going well, that I've so far been unable to replicate anywhere else in my life. It's a good feeling. I want more of it. As Kermit said, I think it's what I'm supposed to be.

No comments: